Are you a Martha’s Vineyard resident interested in pursuing a career as an Offshore Wind Technician?
Take Offshore Wind Power Technology classes from Bristol Community College right here at home!
A Path to Success
Embark on a path that will give you the knowledge and credentials to become a technician in the offshore wind industry. This training program and certificate is offered to year-round Martha’s Vineyard residents interested in a career in applied wind technology, “green energy,” renewable energy and engineering.
An Opportunity for Year-Round Employment
The offshore wind industry is expanding along the US Eastern seaboard — it is estimated that will directly create thousands of jobs for the south coast through development, construction and operations over the next 25-30 years. Start training now and get in on the ground floor!
- This is a part-time, 23 college-credit certificate program. Our first cohort kicked off in January 2020 and and completed the program in Fall 2021. A new cohort will begin in September 2022, our fourth to date. The classes are held either online or in person on Martha’s Vineyard and are taught by Bristol Community College faculty (click here to read about our first graduating cohort).
- This certificate prepares students as technicians for the offshore wind power industry. Students learn aspects of applied technology such as electrical machinery, fluid systems, materials science and gain hands-on experience with assembly, installation, operation and maintenance of wind power systems.
- Students develop practical skills associated with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of mechanical systems (hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanisms, and wind power devices).
- Graduates can work as turbine and foundation installers and operation and maintenance (O&M) technicians in the land-based or offshore wind industry or in a variety of marine trades professions at the technical level.
When and Where Will the Courses Be Offered?
Where: The majority of classes will be taught on Martha’s Vineyard, either through remote learning or in-person at the high school.
When: Our next cohort begins September 2022. Classes are scheduled for the early evening to accommodate a person who is employed during the day and for MVRHS students.
Duration: It is estimated that it will take applicants up to two years to complete the full Certification Program.
Cost: Like any college-level certificate program, this is priced per course (as 3 or 4 credit courses). Please also plan for the cost of books and materials. Scholarships are available to interested women, minorities, or individuals from marginalized groups. MVCET, in partnership with MASSCEC, places high value on diversity and economic equity across gender and racial lines, and are actively working towards lowering any and all existing barriers to education for women, POCs, and folk who identify as a part of the LGBTQ+ community.
Where: The majority of classes will be taught on Martha’s Vineyard, either in-person at the high school, or virtually, through remote learning.
When: Classes are scheduled for the early evening to accommodate a person who is employed during the day and for MVRHS students.
Duration: It is estimated that it will take applicants up to two years to complete the full program.
Cost: Like any college-level program, this is priced per course (as 3 or 4 credit courses). Please also plan for the cost of books and materials.
Candidates must meet these requirements:
- Martha’s Vineyard resident (off-island residents considered on a case by case basis)
- 17 years or older by start date
- Able to speak, understand and write English fluently and clearly
- Comfortable with heights and boat travel
- Good physical health and stamina; the ability to climb on ladder systems to height of turbine nacelle, often with tools and equipment, and the ability to swim.*
- Access to a computer with reliable internet (for remote classes).*
- Authorized to work in the USA (a requirement for employment only)
*Students with issues in these areas should contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to enrollment.
Proposed Course Sequence
(subject to change)
|Semester||Class Number||Class Name||Credits|
|Spring ’22||EGR 151||Electrical Machinery||3|
|Spring ’22||EGR 281||Offshore Safety & Survival||4|
|Fall ’22||SCI 112||Principles of Ecology||4|
|Spring ’23||EGR 171||Fluid Systems||4|
|Fall ’23||EGR 282||Wind Power Technology||4|
|Fall ’23||EGR 283||Wind Power Operations & Maintenance||4|
MVCET, Vineyard Power Cooperative and Bristol Community College are partnering to provide this program.
This program is funded in part by a grant from the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MASS CEC).
I’m Interested, What Do I Do Now?
If you’re interested in enrolling in the program, or just taking a single class, please fill out this pre-registration form: